Tuesday, February 17, 2009

February 10 - What have you read?

On Late Night Live today Phillip Adams had, as one of his guests, Robert Crawford, Poet and Professor of Modern Scottish Literature at St Andrews University.

It was a very interesting interview and you can download and listen to it from the ABC website. The part of the interview that caught my attention was when Robert asked the question "What have you read that was published in the year you were born?"

Hmmm! I don't know, I thought, so I went to Google and enquired.

One of the results caught my eye - "Teach Yourself the Sliderule", written by the Managing Director of "Unique" company and published by Burns Snodgrass in 1955. Haven't read it.

Books on questions of the peaceful application of atomic energy (published 1955–1956)
Journal of Atomic Energy. Published by Springer New York. Nope, none of those either.

"Tunnel in the Sky" is a science fiction book written by Robert Heinlein and published in 1955. I've read lots of Heinlein Sci FI, but not that one.

THE BOY'S COUNTRY BOOK - published 1955 - 1st edition. Not this one either.

SINGER SEWING SKILLS REFERENCE BOOK 1955. Didn't need it. I have a Husqvarna sewing machine.

Schumacher’s Taliesin Line of Decorative Fabrics and Wallpaper (Published by E.W. & Co. - Sample Books, Chicago) in 1955. I'd love to see a copy of this one!

Graham Greene published "The Quiet American" in 1955. I haven't read the book but I've seen the movie.

Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" books came out at this time. The first two were published in 1954 and the Return of the King was on the 20th October 1955. I've read them all many, many times and will no doubt read them again sometime. I have the Collectors Edition of the three movies and have watched them many times also. So this is my answer to Robert Crawford's question.

I was wondering what to put on my page for this topic but it's going to be easy. I'll post it when I'm done.

No comments: