Thursday, August 6, 2009

April 14 - Japanese non-meat products

I went on a walking tour of Chinatown with a friend today. It was with a crew called Taste Trekkers and we were shown around asian supermarkets and other food outlets from different cultures. It was great fun and we both learned a lot.

One of the really interesting things I learned about is the Japanese non-meat products in the supermarkets. Made mostly from beans, these products actually look like the meat products they are replacing. I'd expected the non-beef patties that I saw but the non-bacon rashers of bacon were a real surprise.

The trek was part of my culinary training and I've been practising my asian cooking since then (and getting really good at stirfrys) but I think it may be some time before I'll have the courage to try food like the non-meat bacon.

No comments: