Thursday, August 6, 2009

April 15 - book binding

This evening I went to my first meeting of the Queensland Bookbinding Guild. As a book artist I know all about making artist's books so this is about adding another skill to my toolbox.

The guild meetings are attended by a diverse group of interesting people who are all passionate about making books. They have a stock of materials to buy and a cupboard of books to borrow. It's wonderful. As a member I can go along to monthly workshops to use the guild's equipment as well.

There are two parts to the construction of a book - the text block and the cover (or "case") . The text block is put together using a set of rules and it's pretty-well defined before you even start. However, the design and manufacture of the case can be a totally individual and creative process. It's like the creation of a book is a whole brain process, using the left brain for the text block and the right brain for the case. Very satisfying.

I'm keen to learn about how to use leather for binding and I'm already planning the books I'd like to make.

No comments: