Thursday, August 6, 2009

April 20 - printing on acetate

My friend Yvonne invited me to her place to play with her myriad of stuff. She's a keen card maker and craft fan and she's collected loads of tools and materials and was keen to share them with me.

One of the things I learned about while I was there was how to create images on acetate using stamps and pens. When I got home I experimented some more and made the piece in the photo. I took the pic with the acetate taped to a glass door and the view of the garden behind it.

The transparency film I used is an HP film for inkjet printers. It's designed for overhead slides and has one side that's a bit rougher than the other so that the ink from my pens sticks better. I used black India ink with a rubber frame stamp to begin with, stamping it on the smoother side of the film. Then I placed the frame over an image from a Be Creative magazine of stained glass and used a black Sharpie pen to trace the image into the centre of the frame. Then I turned the image over and coloured it from the back, the rougher side. The pens I used are Marvy brush markers from Uchida and they came out really bright.

I like the stained glass effect of doing this and am now thinking about how I might use this process in my other work.

No comments: