Saturday, January 17, 2009

January 11 - Printing on canvas

I participate in an Artist Trading Card swap with a group based in New Zealand. The ones we make are textile-based. This month's theme was "Red and White" and I decided to base it on the image of a red and white fish.

I'd recently bought some Canvas paper for my ink jet printer and thought that would be a good starting point but when I did the print I was very disappointed with the result. The colours were really dull and they seemd to fade as I looked at it.

At the cook up day someone had showed me an image she'd printed on a piece of canvas that she'd bought in notepad form. I had looked for it in an art shop but didn't find it so I'd bought a length of actual canvas instead. I cut a few A4 size pieces off the length and painted them with a thin coating of watered-down gesso. Then I used them to print my fish image. Perfect result.

Here's how my page turned out

Once I'd successfully printed the fish on a piece of canvas I then made my ATC. The fourth image on the page is of it.

No comments: