Saturday, January 17, 2009

January 9 - Altered Photos

Today was the first day of the Annual Cookup at Fibrecraft House, the home of the Queensland Spinners, Weavers and Fibre Artists group. It's always a great place to learn new things so I spent my time on Altered Photos.

The idea is to take a photo that's surplus or a reject for some reason and turn it into a mini work of art. To do so, you can use sandpaper, scratching tools, paint, knives, pens, etc. The process I used for each of mine was to tear the edges first, then put it in water for a short while to soften the emulsion.
Once out of the water I was able to scratch the surface of the photo with a scourer or sharp metal object. Then I painted bits with watercolour paint, mostly the edges, and with one of them I applied paint with a stamp then coated it with a PVA/water mix to get a glossy finish.

Here's the photo of the pages in my book

I like the way that you can transform an ordinary photograph into something entirely different.
I plan to spend some more time playing with this process

No comments: