Tuesday, May 12, 2009

March 13 - the animated page

I attended a weekend workshop with Ed Hutchins at the Qld State Library.

Ed is a master at making artist books and the ones we did today were on the topic of the animated page.

Animated pages first appeared in children's books in the early 1800's and, over time, have become more and more elaborate. The first ones involved mechanical components that the child could push and pull to make something happen. There were also pop ups and books with pages that folded out into 3D scenes. Ed had some examples of very early animated work and I was truly amazed at the ingenuity of them.

We made loads of different types of mechanisms and went home exhausted at the end of the day.

The work I did during the day has been added to my growing pile of UFOs. When I finish it (and I hope it's sooner rather than later) I'll post a few pics here.

Tomorrow we'll be working on Single Sheet Structures. Should be fun.

No comments: