Wednesday, May 20, 2009

March 20 - my studio

I was working in my studio today and wondered what sort of photos I'd take of my work area to illustrate what I do. It was difficult because there's a jumble of stuff everywhere: things finished and forgotten, work-in-progress, assorted materials (lots of them) and tools (lots of them too).

I decided that I could really only get a snapshot at any point in time, so that's what I did. The scrapbook page of my dad cutting a hole in the ice in Finland (1955) is for an album I'm doing for his 90th birthday this year. It's my favourite page of them all because I think it works so well and yet it took me less than 20 minutes to do, unlike so many more that I've agonised over.



I just love tools and have many, many of them for all the different things I do. I did a workshop last year with Keith lo Bue and one of the best things about it was what he taught us about tools. I discovered that I'd been abusing my drill for years and am very happy to understand how best to use it now. I also learned how to use a dremel properly and am very happy with it.

I made this mask for a ball I went to last year. The dress I wore was a snakeskin design in black and white with silver sequins so the mask is silver, black and white too.




I redecorated these Ugg boots for an exhibition at Sherwood called "These Boots". They were fun to do but now they sit neglectedly in the corner of my studio and I can't really wear them anymore.

No comments: