Wednesday, May 13, 2009

March 18 - Google Earth

I'm in the process of organising a trip to England for a wedding in June. It involves renting a cottage near Tonbridge in Kent and through the process of investigating properties I've found Google maps to be an invaluable tool.

One of the cottages I enquired about was perfect in every way and I was about to contact the owner when I thought I'd check it out via the maps first. By doing so, and zooming in on the property, I found out that it backs onto a railway line! Needless to say, I deleted it from my list of possibilities.

If you haven't used it yet go to http://www.google.com.au/ and click on the 'maps' option in the top line. When you put any address in the search box you'll see it and some properties even have street view photos.

Up on the right hand side are three option - map, satellite and terrain. The satellite option is best because you get to see what the place is actually like. I've used this to familiarise myself with what the road is like near where I'm going so that when I drive there I know what to expect.

No comments: